The wrist is the joint that joins the forearm with the hand. The main function of the dolls is to place the hands in space and move them. In this way, hands can do a wide range of activities ranging from the manipulation of small objects to large objects.
Wrist pain is quite common. In addition, injuries occur due to repeated movements of the wrists. For example, everyday activities such as working with a computer , racket sports, or sewing can cause pain and even carpal tunnel syndrome . It is due to the inflammation of the Medium Nerve due to narrowing of the anatomical space called Carpal Tunnel, as a result of alterations in the structures that comprise it.
This condition causes pain, tingling, tingling and loss of sensation in the hand. It is due to inflammation in the “tunnel” formed by the bones and ligaments of the wrist that surround the nerves that carry impulses to and from the hand.
Strengthening the wrists is a good measure to avoid injuries and also as rehabilitation after an injury or surgery in the area. Also, they are useful for strengthening the hands in older people and avoiding fractures of the wrists or hands .
Here are some exercises to strengthen the wrists.
How to strengthen the wrists
When we go to the gym or exercise at home, in general, we don’t pay attention to the dolls. We focus on the arms, abs and legs. However, we should include in the routine some movements to strengthen the wrists .
Pay attention to the following exercises to strengthen the wrists:
1. Dumbbell doll flexion
You can do this basic exercise with a dumbbell or with a small bottle of water filled with sand.
- First, sit down and support your right forearm on a push-up bench placed diagonally to the floor.
- Then, place the palm facing up with the dumbbell in your hand.
- Now flex the wrist inwards. All other parts of the arm are static.
- Do 10 repetitions and change your arm.
2. Pressure with ball
Squeezing a semi-soft ball by hand is ideal to improve grip strength and also to reinforce the wrists. With this exercise you can then open bottles and bottles without problems.
Only accurate one ball tennis or rubber of a size that will fit in the palm.
- Squeeze little by little, until you reach the maximum strength you can do.
- Then, keep 3 seconds and relax.
- Repeat 10 times and go to the other hand.
This exercise can be done at any time of the day (for example while traveling in the subway, while having a phone conversation, while having lunch or before bedtime).
3. Reverse bending
This exercise serves to strengthen the upper part of the wrists. You will need a dumbbell or bottle with sand.
- Sit with your back straight and legs together.
- Support the right forearm on the thigh so that the hand and wrist are “hanging” facing the floor.
- Take the dumbbell and bring your hand up and back, as if you wanted to reach the shoulder.
- Hold the pose for a few seconds and return to the initial.
- Repeat 10 times and do the same with your left hand.
This exercise can be done, for example, at the end of the workday if you have spent many hours typing or using the mouse.
4. Opposition of the thumb
By strengthening the muscles of the fingers you will also be making your wrists stronger.
This exercise can be done at any time of the day.
- Join the thumb with the index finger of the right hand.
- Then, squeeze as much as you can for 5 seconds.
- Now do the same with the middle finger. Repeat with the ring and finally with the little finger.
- When you’re done, turn left.
- In total you must do 3 repetitions per side.
5. Wrist twists
To do this exercise to strengthen the wrists you will need a stick such as a broomstick, or a stick, such as those used in the gym to place the discs.
At the beginning just use the weightless bar and then you can add some resistance.
- First, hold the stick with both hands.
- Then, raise your arms to shoulder height.
- Make movements as if you were squeezing a wet clothes, alternating the turns so that one hand is up and the other is down.
- Repeat for 1 minute. Rest 30 seconds and start again.
6. Hold heavy objects
You can, for example, use a disc like the gym or some heavy object at home.
- Hold it with both hands and place it in front of the body with your arms outstretched.
- Stand with your back straight for 1 minute. The arms are always stretched .
- After that time, lower your arms.
This sport can be very useful to strengthen the wrists. You don’t have to be an expert or even go to a 10 hole course. There are golf kits for children in stores, for example.
You can even use a broom to hit a ball. The important thing is that you emulate the movements of arms and hands of golfers.
It is a perfect minimum resistance exercise if you are not going to the gym or if you have some free minutes in the office.
- Standing or sitting, raise your arms so that they are parallel to the floor.
- Close your fist and draw imaginary circles with your wrists clockwise and vice versa.
- Repeat 1 minute and rest 30 seconds.
- Start over Complete 3 series.
9. Exercises with resistance band
These are thick elastic strips that are obtained in sports and physical rehabilitation stores.
- Stand up and hold the band with the plants.
- At the other end, take them with your hands (palms facing up).
- Making strength with the wrists, try to stretch as much as possible.
- Do 20 repetitions.
Strengthen your wrists and not only avoid repeated motion injuries, but also reduce the chances of fractures. Anyway, if you feel pain go to the doctor to do the necessary studies.